The Institute trains highly qualified professionals in the field of theatre art more than 45 years.
Currently the faculty offers the following educational programs:
- Dramatic and Film Artist (Specialist degree);
- Puppet Theatre Artist (Specialist degree);
- Amateur Theatre Management (Bachelor degree);
- Theory and Practice of Performing Art (Master degree).
The activity of the Faculty of Theatre is based on the tradition of Russian theater school as well as up-to-date knowledge and international theater practice. Students of the Faculty of Theatre master academic disciplines related to their future profession: acting, scenic speech, stage direction, stage movement, dance, stage make-up, history of theater, etc. Leading specialists in the field of theater education are invited to give master classes and hold creative meetings.
The Faculty houses 3 Departments:
- the Department of Theater Direction (Head of the Department - Mikhail A. Karpushkin, Honored Cultural Worker of the Russian Federation, Professor);
- the Department of the Actor's Art (Head of the Department- Irina A. Sidorenko, Associate Professor);
- the Department of Scenic Speech and the Art of Rhetoric (Head of the Department - Yelena A. Lazareva, Honored Artist of the Russian Federation, Associate Professor).
Highly qualified teachers having honorary and scientific degrees and great theater experience, practicing actors and theater directors, graduating from metropolitan Theater Institutes, participating in master classes, creative laboratories and job training in Moscow, St. Petersburg, Yekaterinburg and abroad work here.
From the first year of study students are in the unique creative environment working not only with teachers and fellow students as future actors and theater directors but meet with the audience as well. Creative life of the faculty is organized on the basis of SSIC Students' Theater. In its repertory there are academic works and final projects of the students.
Students' participation in different competitions and festivals, tours throughout Russia and abroad are very important in the training of actors and theater directors. The students are awarded many laureate's diplomas, Gold medal of Youth Delphi games (2014) and Silver medal of Youth Delphi games (2013).
Annual International Youth festival of small form productions "Teatromagiya" already has its history and unique image. The faculty takes part in it as a united voluntary family. Its competitive program includes such nominations as "Professional Theater", "Student's Theater", "Amateur Theater" and "Theater without boundaries". "Teatromagiya" is on the list of theater festivals of Theater Union of Russia.